Saturday, December 22, 2012

2012 is almost over, and we're all still here! I've been enjoying a relaxing week with my family leading up to Christmas. I've baked. I've written. I've read. A Lord of the Rings movie marathon followed our family reading and trip to see the Hobbit on the big screen. It's been a good week, and it's been a good year.
 
I am so glad to have spent another year blogging with you all in this fantastic community. Many thanks are due to Brenda Drake for all the work she does for fellow writers, and I am so excited to say that the awesome, startacular, brilliant Deana Barnhart, chose me as her teammate and mentee for Brenda's Pitch Wars, a pitchfest involving 37 teams and 16 agents, continuing to the final round on January 23-24. For more information about Brenda and Pitch Wars, click here. And please check out my mentor Deana here!
 
In writing, I've sailed my YA fantasy Trespassers through more revisions than I can count, and I've nearly finished the first draft of my NaNoWriMo magical realism project.
 
In reading, the bookshelves keep overflowing. My TBR list continues to grow, and there are never enough hours in the day to read. I wanted to wrap-up with some of my top reads of the year.
 
Best New Voice:
The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke



Best Contemporary:
Counting Backwards by Laura Lascarso
 
Best Fantasy World Building:
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
 
Best SciFi /Adventure:
Midnight City by J. Baron Mitchell 
 
Best Adult Read:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
 
Best Conclusion to a Series:
Black Heart by Holly Black
 
 
 
And for my music of the day, I picked my favorite new album of 2012:
Synthetica by Metric
 
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year everyone! May your stockings be filled with books, and your homes filled loved ones!
 


 

2 comments:

  1. congrats to the winners!! merry christmas and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Black Heart and that whole series (except for one headscratcher--the word "nimbus" used as a descriptor twice early on in Black Heart. Strange! I listened to the audio book which made it stand out more. OH and the audio books are narrated by Jesse Eisenberg and are fantastic!)

    I'm going through my blog list and visiting everyone. Looking forward to more posts in 2013!

    ReplyDelete