Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"It's okay to take a break."

My husband said this to me yesterday. It's one of those things I know to be true, but it helps to hear someone else reaffirm it. In the ever-shifting balance of life, family time and writing time keep up their antagonistic struggle. The blog usually gets the shortest stick in that draw, but I wanted to stop in with a run-down on my time away.

In Reading:

Used book store finds have been filling my reading list, so instead of long reviews, I thought I'd give a shout-out to two oldies that really stuck with me.

Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves blew my mind. Imagine a world of infinite dimensions, with an incarnation of the boy who can save the universe in each one. Now imagine they all get together, form an army, and fight the magic and science extremists who want to take over.

 
 
 
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson made me think of what would happen if Chuck Palahniuk wrote for teen girls.  Anderson's chilling voice explores anorexia with depth, intrigue, and complex characters.
 
 

 
In Writing:

Revisions on my WIP are trudging along. I'm over half way through, but the further I get down the line, the more early changes start affecting later events. Also, shiny new ideas keep popping up and begging to be explored. I've been debating taking them on in short story form, even though I don't have enough time in the day for all my other obligations.

In Music:

The Muse concert in Ft. Lauderdale was phenomenal, as expected. On the horizon, we're taking Son 1 and Son 2 to their first rock concert to see Imagine Dragons in May.  Happy Mother's Day to me!

And happy reading and writing to all of you! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment