Friday, March 13, 2015

Book Review: Brown Girl Dreaming


I've read plenty of books since my last book review. But none of them struck me with enough force to put fingers to keyboard to sing praises. I haven't really fallen in love with a book for a while. I want to thank Jacqueline Woodson for reminding me what that feels like.

In Brown Girl Dreaming, Woodson gives an autobiography of her childhood in captivating verse. She explores issues of geographical identity, race, religion, and personal dreams in a way that keeps the pages turning and leaves the reader hungry for more.

You may notice the seals on the picture above; Brown Girl Dreaming has won the National Book Award, a Newbery Medal, an NAACP Image Award, and the Coretta Scott King Author Book Award. I'm sure even more will follow. When reading this book, you know in just a few pages that you've discovered a modern day classic, timeless and stunning, that children and adults alike will be reading for generations to come.

If you haven't already, stop what you're doing and go read this book!

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment