Monday, February 27, 2012

If you asked my kids, they would tell you they aren't allowed to see anything related to Harry Potter. Most people get the wrong idea and assume I have a problem with the books.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

I love Harry Potter. Since my boys were toddlers I've waited for the day when they would be old enough to read The Sorcerer's Stone. And the key word is read. I didn't want the magic ruined for them by watching the movies first, or worse, playing the video games.

Last night was the night; we read "The Boy Who Lived" together. I'm not sure how the boys felt about it; it may not be insta-love just yet. But I couldn't help giggling at the cat on Privet Drive and the use of the word muggle, which at the moment seemed more strange to them than the Dursleys.

I hope I can keep from reading ahead when they're at school.

Music for today:
Hedwig's Theme

10 comments:

  1. The magic of reading it for the first time...I envy that. I'm looking forward to reading with my youngest (she's not quite ready yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha that's pretty good. Although I have to admit I never read the books in the beginning. I didn't even want to watch the movies but my family was going to watch 1 & 2 so I decided to join having nothing better to do. I loved them and couldn't wait for the rest of the movies. It wasn't until just before movie 5 came out that a friend found out how excited I was and how I hadn't read them. She proceeded to bring be book 5 the next day and told me I couldn't watch until I read. So I did. I read book 5 and was so amazed, then got book 6 and finished it the day book 7 came out. I now have all the books but I read them completely out of wack with the movies but still loved them. I'm sure your kids will enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read them the first year I started teaching. I kept reading journals with my students, where we talked about what we were reading in a letter format, and I'll never forget the boy who told me about Harry Potter. He was so excited, and I was hooked immediately. I think the third book had just been released.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Carrie. Although, I can't wait until I read them to my boys, and see the wonder and excitement on their faces! It's only a few more years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'd be a few more years before my daughter could read the Harry Potter books, but perhaps I will read at least a book aloud to her first. Or we could take turns reading aloud when she gets to that point.

    By the way, Laurie, you've been tagged! You can visit my blog entry from today to get the details. I look forward to reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me. They have quite an adventure ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter whose fourteen just started reading them a few years back. They did watch a few of the movies first though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're pretty wise to wait for them to be able to read it for themselves. An entire generation of children got into reading because of Harry Potter - it makes sense to keep the vibe going for another generation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your comments. I just hope they love it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome way to raise your boys. :)

    ReplyDelete