Tuesday, December 27, 2011





Welcome to the 2011 YA Superlative blogfest, hosted by Katy Upperman, Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, and Alison Miller. (Thanks ladies!)

As I looked back over the books I read in 2011, most were not new releases. That narrowed my playing field a bit, so I’ve only chosen a few of the categories each day. If you'd like to learn more about the books, click on the covers to link back to the authors' websites. Here are my picks for Head of the Class, 2011! Drum roll, please…

Favorite Dystopian:

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent tops many of my categories for the year. I loved the world building, the family dynamics, and the romance. I can close my eyes months later and still imagine myself standing beside the rushing water with the members of Dauntless.

Favorite Fantasy:

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

This book has everything: gorgeous prose, strong world building, well-chosen changes in perspective, a carefully unraveled mystery, and star-crossed lovers. What else can you ask for?

Favorite Contemporary:

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

I chose this one because I loved Lola’s voice. More than any other YA book I read this year, Lola reminded me what it felt like to be a teenager.


My *extra* category, Favorite Scary Story:

Cryer’s Cross by Lisa McMann

Everything I love about Stephen King and everything I love about YA meld together perfectly in this book. McMann has a unique voice, and this is my favorite of her books to date.

I can’t wait to read everyone else’s picks and watch my to-be-read list grow each day. Please stop back by tomorrow for the Popularity Contest!

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry about not having something for every category! It's all about giving love for the books you did read. And you have some awesome choices there! Thanks for participating! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been intrigued by Cryer's Cross--since you added a special category for it, I might just have to read it. Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals! It was really hard to put things into categories. I didn't chose a genre bender because I think most of the books I read this year spanned many genres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic choices, Laurie! All four of your selections are on my list for today too! Don't you think CRYER'S CROSS deserved more hype? That book was so well-written it made it hard for me to sleep at night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are making an appearance on several lists... Great choices!

    ReplyDelete