Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Welcome to YA Highway's 110th Road Trip Wednesday!

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. This Week's Topic:

Where do you buy most of your books?

I wasn't planning to chime in today, but this one is pretty short and sweet. Since I got my Nook Color, I have purchased several e-books. I read a comment the other day that e-books are much more about convenience than cost, and I agree with that. When I want a book immediately, without driving to a store, I download it. I also downloaded all my books for my Thanksgiving road trip. Convenience is key.

Still, around half of my fall/winter reads have been ink and paper books. I lucked out with a few blog giveaways, I bought more books for myself than I did for my kids at their school book fair, and I finally finished my last find from the fall Friends of the Library sale. I shop at Books-a-Million because it's the closest to my house, and I shop at Barnes and Noble when I'm at the mall. Most of the time I get overwhelmed at the used book store; the nearest independent book store is really far from where I live, but I've shopped there, too. I usually only buy non-fiction books from Amazon, but I couldn't tell you why that is.

So basically, I buy books anywhere I can find them.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope your stockings are filled with beautiful words and amazing stories.

Music for today: Let it Snow

9 comments:

  1. I'm getting a reader from Santa, so I guess I'll be downloading a lot of books soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Convenience, for sure... but I hope the price of e-books stabilizes to something more reasonable. They shouldn't be as much as a hardback, and perhaps not even as much as a paperback. The whole thing is still very much in flux at the moment as people get used to the technology, and the industry figures out how to handle it. It will be interesting to see... and I will be curious to see how my purchasing habits change (if at all) when I get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the prices are way too high. And it's too easy to click and download everything you want, and not until later do you realize how much you've spent. That caused me to slow down for a while. I think the price should be less than a paperback, certainly for anything already out in paperback. It will be interesting to see what happens.

    Thanks for reading, Angelhorn and Colin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's so sweet! I hope your stocking is "filled with beautiful words and amazing stories" as well!

    I'm a Barnes&Noble girl myself.

    Also, I am now following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I`m kind of the same way when it comes to books: I buy them wherever I can get them, especially for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My answer was similar: Wherever I can find good books, I buy them. Why discriminate? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also buy in a lot of places and I´m thinking about getting an e-reader (still undecided though) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we're all the reasons why the publishing industry is still thriving ;) Welcome and thanks for following, Susan and Commutinggirl!

    ReplyDelete